Our pursuit of growth shouldn’t end when we graduate high school or college. Nor should it end when we are bestowed with the title of leadership.
No, leaders must be intentional about their growth.
Young leaders may wonder what can they do to continue their growth. They’ve already taken the courses that were required. They’ve pursued higher education. They’ve gone to training.
Truth be told, there’s a lot we can do to continue to grow. In this post you’ll discover 6 ways leaders can continue growing.
How To Continue Growing
1. Discover Mentors: One of the quickest ways to grow is to find a mentor for your life. Leaders know there are many different areas of their lives that could use improvement. You can find mentors for almost any area of life you want to grow in.
Search out mentors for your marriage, parenting, communication, presenting, and leadership skills. These mentors can help you grow and will challenge you to take these skills to the next level.
2. Face Your Pain: Pain can be a teacher as you continue to grow. I recently learned this with the toughest decision I have ever had to make.
The most recent pain is there but it’s also a teaching me a lesson. For me, it’s been that life is precious, time is limited, and we must love those around us more than we are.
Your lesson from pain will differ each time but there’s a lesson to be learned. Look to the pain and see what you need to learn.
3. Help Others Become Leaders: Begin searching out others that you can influence to become leaders. Encourage them and build them up as they journey along the leadership path.
This will help you continue your growth in many ways.
You’ll have to increase your knowledge as the upcoming leader asks you the tough questions. You may or may not know the answer and this will cause you to dig deep.
4. Explore Other Hobbies: Leadership will eat up much of your time. But don’t neglect your off time. Find hobbies that you’re interested in and learn what it takes to excel in these endeavors.
As you do, you’ll learn new skills. Some of these will be transferable to your position of leadership. Don’t hesitate to use the transferable skills as you gain them.
For example, I learned a leadership lesson during an ice climbing trip to the upper peninsula of Michigan. You can learn things on your travels!
5. Travel: Create a list of dream locations you’d love to visit. Make it a point to visit these locations. Use Jettly to travel quickly and easily to your dream destinations.
Each travel destination can teach you something new. Different cultures will open your eyes. Varying landscapes will offer new insights into creation. Your strength may be tested as you enter changing climates.
When you travel, be sure to soak up all you can about the region. You’ll be amazed at what you discover.
6. Never Stop Challenging Yourself: Be willing to take big risks. Create those Big, Hairy, Audacious Goals. Know your boundaries and test them.
Challenging yourself allows you to push yourself outside of your comfort zone. You’ll learn what you’re really made of. Don’t be surprised if you’re more capable than you thought.
Question: How do you continue to grow as a leader? Please share your thoughts in the comment section below.