As I was preparing to improve my level of fitness, I heard a lot of talk about barefoot running shoes. Most of the talk revolved around the Vibram FiveFingers.
I was hesitant to purchase the FiveFingers as I was not fond of their appearance.
Then I heard talk about a new shoe. These shoes were made by Merrell and called the Trail Glove.
The Merrell shoes looked like real shoes. There are no toe slots to slip my toes in. And I felt comfortable wearing them in public.
I have not been disappointed in my choice.
The Trail Gloves were designed with trail runners in mind but still work well on concrete.
Here is what I enjoy about the shoe:
- They look like actual shoes: Unlike the Vibram FiveFingers, the Trail Gloves were designed to have a look similar to a regular shoe.
I can wear the shoes as a recreation shoe and will not have anyone staring at them.
- They are quick to put on: It takes me just seconds to slip my feet into the shoes and be out the door.
- They are very breathable: My feet have never been uncomfortably hot in the shoes.
- They are quick drying: The Trail Gloves dry remarkably fast. Whether running through puddles or snow(except in extreme cases) the shoes quickly dry.
- They are comfortable: The shoes fit snugly but comfortably.
Merrell created a wide toe box so your toes will be able to move in a more natural manner. There is enough support that even on concrete I can run comfortably.
- They come in fun colors: There are times I like to be flashy. The color choices in this shoe allowed me to pick one I would like.
- They have not gained an odor: Over six months and I have yet to notice an odor coming from the shoes. This is great, especially with a running shoe and the amount of sweat that the shoe could absorb.
Here is what I do not like about them:
- Blisters: I have had multiple blisters form on my toes. Unsure if this is normal due to no socks but it is uncomfortable.
- Material Quality: Overall, the shoe has held up exceptionally well. The only issue I have noticed is the inside lining comes off in small balls. This is not constant but does happen once in awhile.
The Trail Gloves have been a great running shoe so far. Whether it has been a nice, clear day, a torrential downpour, or snow on the ground the shoes have been great.
If you are looking at purchasing a pair of barefoot running shoes, I cannot recommend the Merrell Trail Gloves highly enough.
Question: Have you tried any barefoot running shoes? If so, which ones? Please share your thoughts and opinions in the comment section below.