One of my favorite comic book characters, next to Wolverine, has to be Captain America. His story is amazing.
Steve Rogers started off as a scrawny boy who couldn’t cut it in the army, even though he wanted to serve his country. He was recruited for the super-soldier program and became a flying success.
Isn’t this much like our leadership journeys? We’re told we’re not cut out for it, we look for another way, and we become leaders others look up to? Last Friday, Marvel released the newest entry into the Captain America film series, Captain America: The Winter Soldier.
My wife and I decided to make this movie a mini-date night as we both enjoy comic book movies. We were both impressed by the storyline of the movie and the action. It was a great flick and one I’d recommend.
However, whenever I watch a movie, I tend to look for leadership lessons that pop up during the film. Captain America: The Winter Soldier had plenty of those.
Let’s take a look at 10 leadership quotes from the new Captain America movie.
**Warning, there may be movie spoilers in the quotes. If you don’t want the movie spoiled, wait to read this post until after you’ve seen the movie**
1. Steve Rogers: “This isn’t freedom. This is fear.” (Share this quote)
2. Sam Wilson: “Don’t look at me. I do what he does – just slower.” – I thought this was a great line because it shows us there’s value in following others.
3. Nick Fury: “We’re gonna neutralize a lot of threats before they even happen.” Captain America: “I thought the punishment usually came after the crime.”
4. Steve Rogers: “Before we get started, does anyone wanna get out?” – Be willing to give your people an out. If they’re not in, you don’t want them in. (Share the message)
5. Nick Fury: “Looks like you’re giving the orders now, Captain.” – Know when to pass the leadership baton.
6. Captain America: “I’m with you ’til the end of the line.” (Click to tweet)
7. Captain America: “The price of freedom is high. And it’s a price I’m willing to pay.”
8. Nick Fury: “You need to keep BOTH eyes open.”
9. Captain America: “I joined S.H.I.E.L.D. to protect people.” – Sometimes we learn the hard way that the company or organization we joined can lose it’s focus.
10. Alexander Pierce: “Are you ready… All it takes is one step.” – You can even learn from the villains! (Share the villain’s quote)
I’m so glad that movies and entertain can be used to bring out leadership lessons. There’s something fun and exciting when you can intertwine leadership and entertainment.
Question: What’s your favorite leadership quote/lesson from Captain America: The Winter Soldier? Please share it in the comment section below.
- 5 Leadership Books To Read In June 2023 - May 31, 2023
- How To Launch A Successful Employee Coaching Program - May 30, 2023
- 5 Ways To Build Your Thought Leadership On Social Media - May 30, 2023
Please note: I reserve the right to delete comments that are offensive or off-topic.