NOTE: This post was originally posted on June 15th, 2012. With Father’s Day being today, I updated the post to reshare it with those who haven’t had a chance to know my father.
Life can pass us by quickly. Days come and go. They blend together. Before you know it, it’s the next big date.
The next big date coming up is Father’s Day. That’s this Sunday.
As such, I’d like to share a bit about my father today.
His name is also Joseph Lalonde. He goes by Joe most of the time.
He was born in the U.P. of Michigan. Joined the military and served our country. And then moved to Muskegon.
He married his wife and they had three great children: Sharon, Debi, and Joey. Sadly, his first wife passed away after a fight with cancer.
Eventually, he met my mother and they married, having two more children: Myself and Terri. My mother brought another child into the marriage, Steven, and my father has accepted him as his own.
Dad started this second family when he was 55 years old. He’ll be 85 this year and are still going strong.
There’s many memories that I have with/of dad.
- Almost annual trips to Mackinac Island
- The concern he had for my mom as she was rushed to the hospital three hours away
- The tireless effort he put into keeping the pool going for us kids (and the time he chased me around the pool with the pool skimmer)
- His work ethic that provided for the family
- The love he has shown my mom
- The love he has shown us kids
- The smell of his Old Spice cologne
- Seeing him push through a couple of tough surgeries
- Our weekly visits together
- His wise advice and counsel
The list could go on and on.
He took on a whole new family at an age most men are thinking of retirement.
He’s done a great job raising my siblings. Of loving my mom.
I hope I can be half the man that he has been.
He’s been unselfish in the love and care of his family. And for that I’m proud to say he’s my father.
He is a great father. He is a great husband. He is a great man.
Happy Father’s Day dad!
Question: What memories do you have of your father? Please share them in the comment section below.