The movie, The Secret Life Of Walter Mitty really got me thinking. My wife and I decided to make it a date night Tuesday and check out a movie at the cheap theater.
We had the choice of The Hunger Games: Catching Fire or The Secret Life Of Walter Mitty. Having seen Catching Fire (and it’s a fantastic movie if you’re wondering) and knowing Pam wouldn’t watch it, we decided on The Secret Life Of Walter Mitty.
Walter Mitty has a simplistic storyline. One, I believe, most of us can relate to.
IMDB begins to describe the movie as the story of a day-dreamer who escapes his anonymous life by disappearing into a world of fantasies filled with heroism, romance and action. Read more...
For a long time, adventure has called my name. I’ve been drawn to whitewater rafting, skydiving, ice climbing, and other adventurous activities.
My life tries to revolve around these fun and exciting trips. They seem to draw the most out of my life. They make me feel alive.
However, I’m being drawn into the in-between moments lately.
I wonder if you’re realizing the in-between matters just as much, if not more, than the big events in our lives.
What Is The In-Between?
You may be wondering what is the In-Between. I’ll try to explain it to you.
The In-Between is the time between adventures. When you’re really living life and not just a sound bite. It’s the down time. It’s the daily grind. It’s being.
That’s my definition. Read more...
Everyone loves a good story.
We’re often drawn to protagonists like Indiana Jones, Captain America, the Green Lantern, or Superman.
Why do we love characters like these? I believe it is because their story mimics our story.
Image via Creative Commons/Image by Esparta Palma
They have problems:
- Indiana Jones faces snakes and bad guys that want the treasure he is after
- Captain America is thrust into a world he is unfamiliar with. Years have passed by and he is unchanged. The world is not.
- The Green Lantern is self-absorbed and given the responsibility to protect Earth. He has to learn to control his emotions.
- Superman has his arch-nemesis Lex Luthor. He has love issues. He’s an alien.
They have weaknesses or suffered a loss: Read more...
- Captain America has lost all he has ever known. His friends and family are either dead or old.