When you are working in the right industry, it’s very easy to see the top of the career ladder. You know where you’re going, where your ambition is taking you and you start to devise a plan so that you can get there. Going from the bottom of a company into a leadership position is a big deal, but it takes time and a lot of effort to get there.
When the time comes to be ready to move into a leadership position, whether that be a CEO position or a partner PEO company position, you will know. The thing is, there is a lot of uncertainty in career progression for a role. The good news is that no matter the job you have and the role you want to step into, there are some good signs that can tell you that you are ready to lead. Let’s take a look!
- You have people coming to you for advice. If you have more people coming to you for advice in the job, then it’s a good sign that you might be ready to move forward into a mentoring role. People coming to you for advice shows that you are trusted, and that’s something you want from others to show that you are ready for the job you want to get. There’s a satisfaction in being able to help others, and you feel it with every single time someone asks you for help.
- You adapt. As a leader you have to be able to adapt your communication styles to the people you’re dealing with. Before you talk to your coworkers or teammates, you always consider how you are talking to people and you adjust the way that you speak without even thinking.
- You’re confident with changes. You know that anxiety that often comes with being asked to change the way that you do things? When you are ready to step into a leadership role, that anxiety is no longer a factor. You feel confident to change things and do things differently, and you don’t stress out about it. This is a good sign that you’re able to be more flexible and puts you in the right position for management.
- You can present with confidence. A good trait for a leader is being able to address a room full of people without any issues. Speaking to a room full of people without sweaty palms and being able to convey your message in a way that’s powerful and meaningful is exciting!
- You can push back and make decisions. When you are unwilling to bend it’s often seen as a bad trait. However, when you are a leader who is unwilling to be told that you cannot do something, it’s a good thing. You have the grit and the determination to stand up and say what you need for your team and you aren’t about to waste your time being told no.
- Comfort zones are meaningless to you. If you are ready to lead, it’s because there’s no such thing as a comfort zone; you operate wherever you need to be. You dive in whether you’re comfortable or not and you know that in order to grow and learn, you have to be uncomfortable from time to time. You don’t work in a conventional way, and you are happy to go the distance in the role that you have. You encourage yourself to do more, and you push for more responsibility when you know you can handle it.
- The people you work with like you. It’s always helpful to be in a position where the people working for you will enjoy your leadership style. If you are working with people who like you, you’re halfway there. They can see that you’re skilled and good at your job, and they work to ensure that you have the best support while you are doing all that you can to keep the business running. When you get good feedback from staff, it’s often enough to have people who are skilled at their work.
- Your manager is looking to you to help with the leadership issues. If you are looking to see whether you are ready for being a leader, then pay attention to how much your manager is asking you to do. If you get the sense that you’re valued, then your boss will be happy for you to be in a more senior role. If these are signs that you have noticed, you’re on your way!