We’ve all been there. It’s another day doing the same thing at your job and you’re about to nod off to sleep. You’re wondering what you can do to stay awake and break this boredom.
Today, I’ll share five ideas on how to break the boredom of the office. Some of these we’ve done in our own office, others just sound interesting.
I’ll be listing these in my order of least favorite to most favorite.
5. Exit Your Desk And Mingle: Engaging in conversation can break the doldrums of the office blues. You never know what could happen when you strike up a conversation. Something a coworker says could spark an idea for the project you’re working on or you may find that you have something in common with a coworker that you never knew about. It’s a great way to get your creative juices flowing.
4. Close Your Door And Crank The Music: They say music can calm the savage beast. I say it can also awaken the beast. I’ve found music with fast beats and lots of energy can get me pumped back up and ready to knock out a few more hours of work.
3. Reorganize Your Desk: It sounds simple, but it works. Think about it, you’re sitting at your desk all day and it looks the same. Take a couple of minutes and reorganize your desk. Some simple things that could be change- Move your monitor to a different section of your desk. change where you store your pens, or bring a new item to work and place it on your desk. Doing this will make you think about where an item is and make your work environment look completely different.
2. Change Up Your Lunch Routine: If you bring your lunch to work, choose a day to go out and eat at a restaurant. If you go out to eat often, find a park to go to for lunch. This will break up your routine and bring a little variety to your lunch hour.
Instead of using your whole lunch break to eat you could read a book, take a walk outside, or go to the gym. This can bring a nice boost to your creative and energy levels. Nothing like reading a great idea or working out to bring you back to life.
1. The Annoy-A-Tron: This has been my favorite way to break the office boredom. It is a small motherboard that beeps at random intervals. You can easily hide this and drive a co-worker crazy while getting a great laugh out of it. When we did this in our office, our victim was driven crazy. He was standing on his desk, under his desk, and moving all his furniture out of his office. This went on for a couple of weeks until he eventually found it. Laughs were had all around the office.
We spend a huge portion of our life at work and it can get boring at your office. I hope this list has helped you see ways that you could break the boredom and find new enjoyment.
Question: How have you broken the boredom at your office? Please share your experience in the comment section below.