You may or may not realize it but you’re most likely ready to lead. In fact, you’re probably leading already and don’t even realize it.
Check out these 21 signs you’re ready to lead and see if they describe you.
1. You notice others skills and abilities: Leaders have a keen eye for people and their talents. They’re able to see the abilities of others and place them in the proper position.
2. You decide where to have dinner: Most people will brush this off as inconsequential. In fact, it’s quite important. You’re taking a leadership role among your friends. You’re also influencing the decisions they’re making.
3. You share resources: Great leaders know they’re goal is to raise up others to new levels. You help others achieve new heights by sharing exceptional learning material.
4. You tell the truth: You’re not afraid of offending others by telling the truth. Leaders must be willing to tell others how it is.
5. You take risks: As you lead, you head into unknown territory. Doing so requires risk. If you’re risk averse, leadership can be more difficult than it already is.
6. You have boundaries: To be an effective leader, you must have boundaries within your personal and professional life. Dr. Henry Cloud shares why leaders must have boundaries in their professional life in his newest book Boundaries For Leaders.
7. You speak up: Speaking up can be uncomfortable but it has to be done.
8. You value personal growth: Every leader I know values their personal growth. Leading requires continuing education and those that are pursuing it are fit to lead.
9. You are disciplined: Discipline is a key foundation of leadership. You’ve got to be disciplined to lead others.
10. You seek counsel: Proverbs 11:16 states – Where there is no guidance, a people falls, but in an abundance of counselors there is safety. Wise leaders know they must seek out counsel and get advice from those that have gone before.
11. You communicate clearly: Leading a team requires clear communication from the leader. Hone your communication and lead your team with clarity.
12. You give praise to others: Your team does much of the work. Be willing to give them praise when a job is done well.
13. You take the blame for failure: When something goes wrong, leaders know they must be willing to take the blame for the team. They throw themselves under the bus and accept the blame.
14. You are likeable: People are willing to follow people they like. Even if they disagree with what they say.
15. You pay your bills on time: How you take care of your responsibilities says a lot about your character. Leadership requires character. So pay your bills on time!
16. You don’t let material things define you: You know there’s more to a person than the car that they drive or the house that they live in. You invest in what’s important, not what’s flashy.
17. You treat others with respect: Regardless of rank or position in life, you know that everyone should be treated with respect. And you do it.
18. You tell stories: Don’t think this contradicts telling the truth, not at all. Leaders know they need to connect with their followers and they do this by telling stories. They create engaging narratives to draw others into the master plan.
19. You are present: The world is full of distractions. Cell phones, email, text messages, tablet computers. Everything is calling for our attention. You know that you have to be present when you’re face-to-face with others.
20. You have passion: There’s a goal out there with your name on it and it draws out your best. You also know how to bring others together and get them excited about it. You bring passion to the table.
21.. You are willing to step aside: Sometimes leaders need to step aside from their position and let others lead. You’ve shown this ability by stepping aside in other areas of your life. Use this wisely while you’re leading.
Question: What else would you add to the list? Please share your thoughts in the comment section below.
- 5 Leadership Books To Read In June 2023 - May 31, 2023
- 5 Ways To Build Your Thought Leadership On Social Media - May 30, 2023
- Quotes And Leadership Lessons From Kandahar - May 29, 2023
Please note: I reserve the right to delete comments that are offensive or off-topic.